Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sourdough bread

Golden brown and hot out of the oven!
I have been on a quest to find the perfect recipe for 100 percent whole wheat sourdough bread. After many attempts I have finally perfected my recipe. My recipe was inspired by Nourishing Frugal recipe. We don't buy bread anymore and we know what we are eating is whole wheat with no chemicals that we cannot pronounce. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.

100 percent whole wheat sourdough bread

1 cup of sourdough starter

1/2 cup of water

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup vital wheat gluten

Mix all ingredients in a mixer for 6-8 minutes until dough forms a ball and is moist but not sticky. Add more flour as needed. Place in an oiled bowl and cover to let rise until doubled in size. (I place my bowl on top of a yogurt maker to speed up the process) Usually 3-12 hours depending on how warm your house is.

Nice moist dough but not sticky
Doubled in size

Punch down dough and form into a loaf that will fit into a greased bread pan. Cover in a warm area until doubled in size. Usually another 3-12 hours or overnight.


Flatten into rectangle

fold over 1/3

fold over other 1/3

fold over 1/3

fold over 1/3

shape into loaf

place somewhere warm to rise

Bake at 375 for 45-55 minutes until golden brown. (I usually check the temperature and aim for 190° F)

No comments:

Post a Comment